Friends of the Ashmolean
The Friends of the Ashmolean play an active and important role within the Museum. Members are entitled to free entry to exhibitions and we organise a wide variety of activities throughout the year.
As a Friend of the Ashmolean you can enjoy a range of benefits and behind-the-scenes activities. Your support will help to fund the preservation, conservation and expansion of the Museum's collections as well as scholarly research, education programmes and public exhibitions.
The new Ashmolean building has more than doubled the Museum's display space, providing 39 new galleries including four major exhibitions galleries, a dedicated Education Centre, state-of-the-art conservation studios, and Oxford's first roof top restaurant.
Since our foundation in 1969 the Friends are proud to have donated over £1,000,000 to the Museum.
Benefits of membership
- Free entry to all the Ashmolean's paying exhibitions
- Three activities programmes a year within the Museum, in Oxford and around Britain. Our current programme of events can be viewed here
- Free copies of The Ashmolean Magazine and What's On posted to you
- 10% discount in the Café and in the Ashmolean Dining Room, the splendid roof top Restaurant*
- 10% discount in the Ashmolean Shop*
- E-newsletters and access to online exhibitions
* Please note that these discounts are offered at the discretion of the Ashmolean Museum Shop and Benugo Ltd, and may be subject to change. The discount for the Ashmolean Dining Room does not include alcoholic beverages.
Current programme of Events
How the Friends currently support the Museum
- By enriching the Museum's collections through grants towards acquisitions
- By enabling others to share the collections, e.g. grants to the Picture Library and the external loans programme
- By maintaining the research excellence of the Museum e.g. grants towards the curatorial functions in Western Art and the Art and Archaeology of Japan
- By supporting the outstanding Education Programme
- By contributing to the Museum's annual appeal
- £38 Annual membership (individual)
- £55 Annual membership (joint/couple - living at the same address)
- £700 Life membership (individual)
- £1000 Life membership (couple)
To become a member of the Friends, please download, complete and return the membership form, with your Direct Debit instruction or cheque.
Paying by Direct Debit will significantly reduce the administration needed to process payments by our volunteers.
You can also buy a membership for yourself, as a gift, or renew your membership online by credit or debit card by buying membership online.
Contact the Friends
IIf you have any queries please contact us:
Or by telephone:
- for Membership, email email@example.com or telephone 01865 278 016
- for Activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01865 278 172.
Please note that the office is largely staffed by volunteers and all queries are answered as soon as possible.
Charity No. 309178